National Harbor is a development along the Potomac River in Oxon Hill, Prince George’s County, Maryland just south of Washington, D.C. near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. It originated as a 300-acre (1.2 km2) multi-use waterfront development. The development was delineated as a census-designated place for the 2010 census, at which time its population was 3,788.
The land developed for National Harbor was previously Salubria Plantation, built in 1827 by Dr. John H. Bayne. The plantation house burned down in 1981 and was offered for sale along with the surrounding land. The land was sold in 1984 and in 1994 was rezoned for mixed-use development. In the fall of 1997, the Maryland Department of the Environment and the Army Corps of Engineers approved new developer permits, granted for the PortAmerica project in 1988.